ICOBA Europe Annual Report 2022 Published
ICOBA Europe Annual General Meeting 2023
Our Annual General Meeting is held in Birmingham this year, Saturday, May 20 2023 at 1.00pm. If you have not already made arrangements to attend, then please try and do so.
This will be the first General Meeting that we can begin to explore staying in the location for part of the weekend or the entire weekend.
This AGM 2023 will serve as the precursor to discuss and determine our future Annual General Meetings.
This we hope will encourage more attendees at our AGMs and provide more inclusive decisions.
Date: Saturday 20 May 2023
Venue: Church Hall of St Johns Church Walmley, 4 Walmley Rd, Walmley, Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield B76 1QN
Annual Report 2021 Published
Please see below the 2021 Annual Report for our Annual General Meeting scheduled for Saturday, 21 May 2022 at 13:30 —16:00. To view the document, click on the title or image below:
Annual Report 2021
Otunba Oladele Osinuga Esq.
Founders’ Day 2022
ICOBA Europe is pleased to invite you to the Founders’ Day service to mark the 90th Anniversary of the founding of Igbobi College. The event will take place at Holy Trinity, Philip Lane, Tottenham, London N15 4GZ starting at 6.00pm on Saturday, 12th February 2022. The event will include a thanksgiving service, awards, and food and refreshments afterwards.
This year, there are no restrictions on the number of people who can attend this milestone event in person. We would therefore encourage you to join us in celebrating the founding of our alma mater. We particularly look forward to seeing Old Igbobians, their spouses and friends at the event.
For those unable to join us in person, instructions on how to join the event online will be published in due course.
OMNES UNUM IN DOMINO
ICOBA Europe Elections 2021 — Results
The Electoral Committee of ICOBA Europe is pleased to make the following announcement:
We have had only one nominee per post at the close of nominations. This means that there is no longer a requirement to have a vote as all nominees are now returned unopposed and therefore duly elected.
The Electoral Committee would like to congratulate the new Executive Committee and wish its members all the best when they assume office on Saturday, 12th February 2022. The Electoral Committee would also like to take this opportunity to thank the outgoing Executive Committee for its hard work over the past two years.
The inauguration and handover to the new Executive Committee will take place at the Founders’ Day service that will be held on 12th February 2022.
The successful candidates and their manifestos are listed below.
On behalf of the Electoral Committee, ICOBA Europe
Gbenga Segun (Aggrey House: 77/79)
Background and experience
I served as the Director of Organisation between 2015 and 2020, during which time I revamped the ICOBA Europe website. I proposed the concept and delivered, as chairman of the planning committee, the inaugural 2017 Dr Olumide Awe Memorial Lecture, dinner, and dance. I also chaired the planning committee and delivered the 2019 edition of the lecture, dinner, and dance. Amongst my other achievements are:
Honoured with the ICOBA Europe Merit Award for services to ICOBA Europe.
- I initiated the Hill & Vale electronic newsletter and remain its Editor.
- I designed and produced the 2018, 2019 and 2020 Annual Reports of the Association.
- I supported the introduction of a Welfare portfolio in the Executive Committee.
- I belong to the 77/79 Set that produced the ICOBA Infrastructure Master Plan. My experience in both my professional and voluntary activities has given me considerable leadership and team management skills. I have a heart for people and a deep understanding of the values of cooperation, teamwork, effective communication, and dedication to service.
- Bringing together members of the Association in all parts of Europe and the Middle East.
- Reaching out to the various sets for greater participation in the activities of ICOBA Europe.
- Seeking out younger Old Igbobians in Europe and encouraging their involvement in the life of the Association.
- Ensuring that our older members remain involved in the activities of the Association while at the same time checking on their wellbeing and providing support where required.
- Supporting the ICOBA Europe-led ICOBA museum project that seeks to record and preserve the rich history of Igbobi College for posterity. This will serve as a source of inspiration to current and future students to strive for greater excellence.
- Continuing to support the ICOBA Europe-led educational improvement projects such as the Education Master Plan (EQM).
- Delivering a successful ICOBA Europe 90th Anniversary celebrations programme.
- Supporting ongoing collaboration with the ICOBA family worldwide.
Jeremy (Gboyega) Coker (Freeman House: 79/81)
Who am I?
A chartered accountant involved in assisting non-UK entrepreneurs and businesses from all over the world that wish to set up in the UK.
A past Chairman of the London branch of the Chartered Institute of Taxation.
The immediate past President of the Association of Taxation Technicians, the number one body for tax compliance professionals in the UK, a post I held exceptionally for two terms, and continue to serve on its Council as a Trustee and Director.
A member of The Administrative Burdens Advisory Board, an organization that ‘tells it like it is’ when it comes to delivering a simpler and easier tax system for small businesses.
A keen Arsenal supporter who has run six marathons for charity.
I am privileged to have played my part in most of the projects that ICOBA Europe have embarked upon in the last ten years.
I remain committed to and wish to remain in a position to help us achieve our goals.
These include the EQM project, which we intend to continue for a number of years.
I am currently chairman of the ICOBA Europe 90th anniversary committee focused on delivering a long term legacy for the college.
The experience garnered in my various roles make me believe that I have the necessary background, skills and experience required for the position.
Treasurer/ExCo for over 10 years whilst we have grown from being ICOBA UK to ICOBA Europe.
Brought a professional approach to the organisation’s record keeping as well as took responsibility for the custody of its assets.
Treasurer of ICOBA 74-79/81 set in the UK. As a set we have supported ICOBA Europe e.g. by a N5m donation to ICOBA Europe’s EQM
I was awarded an ICOBA Merit Award for Service to ICOBA by ICOBA International in 2020.
I am also a recipient of the ICOBA Europe Merit Award for Services to ICOBA.
I look forward to your support.
Omnes Unum In Domino
Director of Organisation
Kaye Olule (Townsend House: 78/80)
- Support all Sets within ICOBA EUROPE jurisdiction to become more active in ICOBA EUROPE activities,
- Ensure successful planning and implementation of all ICOBA EUROPE activities
- Enhance inter schools collaboration in Europe
- Assist Icoba National in achieving their aims e.g. Raising much needed funds/ resources for Igbobi College.
Otunba Oladele Osinuga (Aggrey House: 85/87)
The management guru Peter Drucker famously said, “What gets measured gets managed, If you can’t measure it, you can’t improve it” in humbly seeking the mandate of our most noble body to be the Proctor General ensuring that we maximise our digital presence and value for members and the wider ICOBA family. In offering to stand for election I promise to build upon and bring to the office of Proctor-General, the dynamism which I have gained through my exemplary record of service and active participation in ICOBA in the UK and internationally which includes:
Assistant Proctor General ICOBA Europe 2019 – 2021,
Director of ICEIGHTY Limited (ICOBA 84, 85 sets investment company RC 1426514 Nigeria) and ICEIGHTY Limited (UK registration number 13398059) and
My professional expertise as a lawyer of over 15 years standing with in-depth experience in Criminal law, Public law, International law, and corporate governance in both the private and public sectors and my membership of national and global professional bodies and my voluntary role as a School governor (Equalities Lead) of William Ford COE Junior School, Dagenham, has adeptly prepared me for the post I seek.
My other social activities include; supporting Manchester United, playing golf, football and cycling. I plan to amongst other things lean on my love for these activities to put together fun and beneficial programs for our association and our alma mater towards facilitating networking while reaping the attendant ’blue zones’ type wellness health benefits. In closing, we remain as ever all in one in the Lord, trusting your wise and most noble counsel in voting for me as Proctor – General.
My profile is available online, follow and link up with me to continue our conversation on: twitter @delinjerosin, https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=1523355, linkedin.comwww.linkedin.com/in/omoba-oladele-osinuga-43087911191
Assistant Proctor General
Peter Olaseni Akinwunmi (Freeman House: 84/86)
I am a “people” person. I like to get to know and interact with all members across all sets. I have been able to do this whenever I get the opportunity to meet Igbobian around the world. In asking for the privilege to serve in the position I would support and assist the Proctor General in ensuring that we carry out the duties of the post to the best of our knowledge and abilities.
I am an experienced civil engineer having worked on many prestigious projects around the world. To say that I am a “civil engineer” is to simplify it; I am extremely passionate about the engineering profession and have a very strong belief in motivating, mentoring and encouraging young black kids to be involved in the many vital and important aspects of engineering. I also, believe that as an engineer of 20 years’ experience, I think logically and am a “problem identifier and solver
My other passions are my children – I am a father of two teenage boys. I am also passionate about Arsenal Football Club, Motor Racing (mainly F1), good governance, supporting my family & friends, the environment and countries that impact me and I contribute and impact, developing Nigeria and last, and definitely NOT the least, “struggling ever for thy fame Igbobi”!!!
I was privileged to previously hold the position of the General Secretary ICOBA 79 -84/86 set during my time working in Nigeria and, now that I have returned to the UK, settled back into the flow of the UK environ I feel ready to contribute positively to ICOBA Europe.
Femi Ogidan (Parker House: 83/85)
My name is Femi Ogidan of Parker House, 1978-83/85 set. I have been the Chairman of my set in the UK for the last four years and have previously served on ICOBA Europe’s ExCo. I am a Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), and a Master of Business Administration (Henley Management College). I am founder and principal of Edgar Merrell, an accounting practice offering accountancy and taxation compliance and advisory services to clients in industries including oil and gas, horticulture, catering, charities, social care and management consultancy. I also have extensive experience, over 20 years, in the interim finance market, covering areas such as development and improvement of financial controls, strategic and financial planning, budget monitoring, business partnering and management of year-end closure. I have also held a treasurer role for an investment club. I am happily married with three children.
I believe that my relevant training and experience can help to achieve the following in this role:
- Maintain the high standards of financial stewardship already established by ICOBA Europe, and improve them where necessary
- Ensure that the financial implications of all ICOBA Europe initiatives are considered and appropriately signed off by the ICOBA Europe Executive
- Explore opportunities to use technology to boost ICOBA Europe’s subscription base
- Seek to develop paid programmes and initiatives that can be of benefit to members e.g. business database for old Igbobians in Europe.
I look forward to the opportunity to serve and add my quota to the continuing development of ICOBA Europe and our beloved alma mater Igbobi College. UP IC!
Kunle Adeniji (Freeman House: 84/86)
If re-elected as the Social Secretary, I promise to re-energise our social calendar to accommodate Senior and Junior Igbobians through the introduction of new events and consolidation of our flagship events such as our annual retreat and bi-annual Dr Awe’s Memorial Lecture Series.
My career in the civil service, quality assurance and social housing estate services, has equipped me with a wide range of skills to plan, manage and coordinate our social events.
I have also served in various capacities as Set Social Secretary 8486 (Lagos), past Vice Chairman 8486 and currently hold the position as Social Secretary of the 8486 Europe Branch.
Achievements as Social Secretary: 2016-present
- Initiated and created website for easy fundraising platform.
- Design and produce all media promo content for our events.
- Member of planning committee for Dr Awe memorial lecture since 2017.
- Member of planning committee for Family Retreats since 2016.
- Initiated the recognition of female student as members of Icoba Europe.
- Revamped our social calendar with introduction of outdoor events like Icoba Europe goes to Royal Ascot and Golfing.
- Representing Icoba Europe as social secretary in other Alumni events.
The Vision: What can we improve?
Other notable events that could benefit from my re-election include:
- Implementing the Chairman’s end of dinner to say big thank you to all members of ICOBA Europe.
- Biennial Wicoba cocktail event
- Royal Ascot 2022, Saturday, 18 June
- 90th Anniversary Gala Fundraising Night
Ultimately, my goal is to draw people together.
One thing I can promise if I am re-elected is that the next two years of our social calendar will be better organised, more exciting, more cohesive, and more fulfilling.
U P I C Up IC!!
Segun Ifaturoti (Parker House: 79/81)
Two years ago, I wrote my manifesto setting out what I was going to do if given an opportunity to serve as your Welfare Secretary. You gave me the opportunity and I put in my best to achieve my objectives. I would hope that you were pleased with my service to the extent that you will like me to further serve you for another two years.
The thrust of my manifesto will be to further develop the Welfare practices over the past two years in the areas of Support and Sharing of Ideas as follows:
A revision of the Welfare Policy to ensure the needs of members are adequately looked into
Sharing of Ideas:
Encouragement of members to make regular contributions on subjects that can improve our wellbeing on our media platforms such as The Vale, E-mail and WhatsApp
UP IC, Up I SAY!
Notice of ICOBA Europe Elections 2021
Pursuant to the provisions of Article 15 of the Constitution of ICOBA Europe, elections for the Executive Committee will be held this November. The format of the election will be electronic. Details on how to vote will be sent out in due course. Please see below for rules on eligibility and where to send your nominations.
6 November 2021 (10pm)
Notice of Intention to Run (NIR)
20 November 2021 (10 pm GMT)
Close of nominations
22 November 2021
Publication of list of candidates and their manifestos
27 November 2021 (8 am GMT)
Opening of electronic voting
27 November 2021 (8 pm GMT)
Close of electronic voting
29 November 2021
Announcement of results
Nominations/notice of intention to run (NIR)
Pursuant to the provisions of Article 15 of the Constitution of ICOBA Europe, we would like to invite nominations/notices of intention to run (NIR) for the following posts:
- Director of Organisation
- Proctor General
- Assistant Proctor General
- Social Secretary
- Welfare Secretary
To participate in the election, either as a voter or candidate, you must have fully paid your annual subscription for the calendar year 2021. You must also normally be resident in Europe or the Middle East.
If you have not yet paid your subscription, please make every effort to pay (or if paying by monthly installment, bring your account up to date) before the close of nominations at 10.00 pm (GMT) on 20 November 2021. The more people we have participating in this election, the more representative the Executive Committee will be.
How to pay your subscriptions
A single payment of £100.00 can be made on the ICOBA Europe website: https://icoba-europe.org/payments, into the ICOBA Europe account, or you may set up a standing order of £10.00 a month (for the purposes of this election a full payment of the annual subscription is required).
ICOBA Europe account details
Acct Name: ICOBA UK
Acct No. 73975630
Sort Code: 20-67-90
Reference ‘SUB, Name, Set’ e.g. SUBLAGBAJA7479
Cheques should be made out to ‘ICOBA UK’ and should be posted to:
200 Bullhead Road
Sending your nominations/notice of intention to run (NIR)
If you are sending a notice of intention to run (NIR), include the names of 3 members who support your candidacy, and kindly send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating which post you are interested in.
Please also send in, with your NIR, a copy of your manifesto or election statement as a Word (.doc) document with a maximum of 350 words.
If you are sending in nominations, please send an email to email@example.com indicating the name(s) and post(s).
The official list of candidates will be published on 22 November 2021. Election campaigns must not start before the publication of this list.
Dated this 16th day of October 2021
Proctor General for and on behalf of
ICOBA Europe, Electoral Committee
Annual General (Online) Meeting 2021
Saturday, 22nd May, 201 3.00pm – 5.30pm (BST)
Owing to the current coronavirus pandemic our Annual General Meeting (AGM) is being held online again this year. Please make every effort to join online. This meeting will discuss upcoming events and other matters related to the progess of our alma mater and association in general.
2. Adoption of Minutes of the Meeting of 11th July 2020
3. Matters Arising From the Minutes of the Meeting of 11th July 2020
4. 2020 Annual report
5. ICY Education Quality Master Plan
6. ICOBA Europe amended Constitution.
7. Report and Update on Calendar of activities for 2021.
8. Charity Registration
9. Igbobi College Yaba 90th Anniversary 2022
10. ICOBA Europe Elections 2021
11. Membership and Engagement Drive.
13. School Song
AGM Joining Instructions
The meeting is due to start at 3.00 pm (BST). However, it would be helpful if you could log in at 2.45 pm (BST) to give time for any technical issues to be resolved.
- To join the AGM on your computer, tablet or phone, click on https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/637459877
- You can also dial in using your phone:
United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0088
- if you already have a GoToMeeting account, open the app and enter the unique Access Code: 302-826-557
- You should mute your audio on joining.
- To speak at the meeting use the chat function to inform the host
- If you have any difficulties dialing into the meeting post a message on the ICOBA Europe WhatsApp chat group or call the Secretariat on 07956 199055 or 07807 912685.
Annual Report for 2020 Published, Constitution and Other Papers for AGM
Please see below papers for our Annual General Meeting scheduled for Saturday 22 May 2021 at 15:00 – 17:30. To view the documents, click on the title or associated image below: